I`ve read a great article by Julie Teigland on LinkedIn. In her main oppinion she suggested, that a CDO would help, to getting over the digital Transformation. In my opinion, a CDO can be a first step, not a solution. I have a tweet about it with similar content:
Why we don`t need a CDO
There are some Arguments for a CDO. I think, the most important one is, that a Person in an organizational structure is responsible for all the activities, to make a Company great for the future. But can one Person load such a Job? I think, the whole Management is responsible to transform a Company for the future: If there is one, the Management is saying „This is the Job of the CDO“.
To transform the whole Company, all are responsible: Board, Senior and Middle Management. The digital Transformation is not only an IT Job: Think about uber or AirBnB: These are old Business Process, but with a new Point of View: Customer Experience. The last decades, the same processes were optimized, again and again. But to have great new ideas, the way of thinking has to Change. A new Mindset in all Management hierarchies are necessary /(German Blog by Matthias Wrede). Especially the Middle Management is trained for years, making Solutions for small Problem. Thinking in new ways has to be learned again. But this is trainable, like thinking as kids (German Blog of Easy Leadership, aka Marcus Riesterer). The next years, the culture of mistakes must be changed, too: To learn the new process Thinking will be a way of trial and error. Nice to read the Roadmap by capgemini. So courageos Leaders must take the first steps. The normally employees aren`t able to Change the way of thinking. This ways can bring new ideas for creating ways of customer satisfaction. Big Data or IoT are only Tools, to improve this, not the epic Centrum of the digital Transformation.
But I don`t want to Version contradict Julie Teigland completely: A CDO is able to drive the digital Transformation in an organizational culture and bring the Spirit of New Work to all departures. So should be „Service“ not only a departure anymore, it should be the Driver for new products or ideas. Think about it: The digital transformation Needs Attention by the whole Management, not only by a CDO.
New Technologies, the international crisis and other factors has shown: We need more leaders, less managers. But what is the difference? A short, but great Synopsis, I`ve seen:
Courage for Leadership
We don`t have a solution for all the Problems. A new Generation of Leadership, based on Courage and Integrity, can bring all of us the solution:
1. We Need responsible Leadership
- the ability to encourage and motivate people, employees and customers
- to guide and coach them in good and bad times on their way to the common goal
- to be successful jointly and have better results as a team
- The key factors are – trust of the people in the right leadership – adjusted approaches of „right“ leadership in different situations – a responsible guideline for social responsibility.
- other important factors are personal qualities like charisma, willpower, trustbuilding, strenghth, courage and decisiveness
- a responsible crisis management – i.e. to be cool headed in critical situations, but with authenticity and integrity
2. We Need the leadership of tomorrow!
- after the age of number-oriented management decision making follows the era of business culture driven leadership
- What is competence? today: fact oriented decision maker tomorrow: enabler and engineer of decision making processes
- What is character? today: compliance tomorrow: personal integrity
- What is culture? today: apply the company values tomorrow: business culture creation and formation
3. New role of the business leaders
- Ethical behavior not only as individual, but as well as institution
- incentivation i.e. boni longterm and related to sustainable results
- decision making processes adjusted to ethical values (i.e. no discrimination, „Red Flags“)
- CEO and leadership team as „role models“ demonstrate christian values
- appreciate human capital
- fairness for all stakeholders
- sustainable entrepreneurship
- show responsibility and reliability
- open and transparent communication
- social engagement and common good-Engagement
- Pope-encyclica „Laudato Si“ = „our planet is our common house“
This Blogpost based on a presentation by Stephan Werhahn, board member of the German IoD.
I read often articles about the digital transformation and changes in Leadership. But why is this topic so important? In the moment, services and products are in change. The digital transformation dominates the discussion about the future of all topics of business.
Why is this important for Leadership? For understanding take a look for some newcomer: AirBnB and Uber: This companies don`t start with great techniques, Apps or Pages: They start with an idea. The services aren`t new. The ideas were bringing a value to the customers. This both companies doesn’t start with a complete new idea. They found business processes, which weren’t optimal and used them, to dig margins.
No more bosses are needed: The age of Micromanagement has ended. New business models arises by creative employees. Managers but cannot command creativity. They have to install a framework, that supports new ideas. Failures are part of this new culture. This mindset has to be part of the common Leadership.